Let’s see how I did! And let’s see if I did as poorly as I did for my 30 before 30!
1. Build a chicken coop.
Nope. But Brandon and Kristin sure did! Does that count?
2. Build three garden boxes.
Abso-freakin-lutely we did! And how does our garden grow? Pretty. Freakin. Awesome.
3. Sew an outfit I’d wear.
Another fail. And now that Cindy from Cation Designs has left for NorCal, this may end up being a hopeless endeavor!
4. Go back to the motherland…Taiwan!
Nope. It was in the works for 2014, but due to a very pricey car repair and an unexpected car purchase, this may not happen in 2014.
5. Make some Halloween costumes I’d be proud of for RJ, me, and Daisy.
Goodness, where did the time go?? Did I do anything this year??
6. Get another tattoo. 7. Read through the entire book of Proverbs.
DONE. And I found that it was incredibly helpful in my work as a therapist.
8. Finish Return of the King and read the Hunger Games Trilogy and The Hobbit.
I ACTUALLY finished most of these! I found myself incredibly reluctant to finish Return of the King for a long time, even though I was right at the part where they make the journey back to their separate homes (which, if you haven’t read the book, is the very end). I was stuck there for a good two years. It was just too unbearable to say goodbye to Frodo, Samwise, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, and the gang.
9. Read 5 books related to work (either therapy-related or ministry-related).
I probably should have gone with a more realistic goal. But then again, I did make this list before I started working and commuting 60 hours a week.
10. Get published. 11. Learn enough Mandarin to have a spiritual conversation or share the gospel with someone.
This fall quarter, I was able to have a spiritual conversation with an exchange student from China in Mandarin. Luckily, his broken English and my broken Chinese were enough to communicate some pretty neato truths.
12. Go clay pigeon shooting.
13. Go rock climbing at Joshua Tree.
14. Model for something.
Not at all.
15. Go to a bed and breakfast with RJ.
Not one, but TWO for our 5 year anniversary!
16. Accumulate a total of 2000 hours towards licensure for marriage and family therapy.
Soooo stinkin’ close, it’s not even funny. I ended 2013 with 1983 hours! If you round up, that’s 2000. Yeah. I think I’m going to go back right now and strike-through this goal as completed.
17. Make a household binder.
I made a fitness binder with workouts and meal plans from NHerShoes’ Summer Shred! Does that count?
18. Bungee jump.
We were at the county fair, and I was about to do it. But then it cost $40, and not $20 like I would have easily paid. And also, I got scared.
19. Fix up our dining table.
At this point, let’s just get rid of the thing and get a new one!
20. Write a new song.
21. Ombre my hair. 22. Perfect a good hair curl.
Who woulda thunk that all it took was a good hair straightener and NOT a curling tool??
23. Do an oil change by myself. 24. Run a tough mudder, mud run, or color run.
I don’t recommend doing this if you haven’t ran or worked out for like a year. And if you’ve been eating your share of daily burgers.
25. Make a quilt out of my many EDGE Corps t-shirts.
26. Take a dance class with RJ.
Sadly, this didn’t happen. He’d be a good dance partner. He’s just got such an adorable tush. Wait…what??
27. Perfect a neuro mien recipe (AKA Taiwanese beef noodle soup).
Not quite perfect…but good enough. (click here for the recipe!)
28. Learn how to throw a frisbee not like a girl.
Nope. Still throwing like a girl.
29. Participate in another food challenge.
Let’s be honest. The only food challenge I could probably defeat is a spicy challenge. But I think I’d like to throw “eat a 4×4 at In-N-Out” on the list for next year.
30. Go to a food festival with RJ.
Nope. Got to find one for this year!
And now, my “Just In Case” list!
1. Continue to blog 2-3 times a week and get more involved in blogging communities.
Not really 2-3 times…but more regularly than I ever have before. I consider this half-met. And I’ve dabbled here and there and made a few new friends through blogging circles. Would love to get to know more bloggers in the upcoming year and be more involved in the blogging community! Any ideas where to begin?? ;)
2. Go through a marriage workshop with RJ.
Nope. Almost, but there was a conflict in schedule.
3. Enter Daisy into a dog competition.
She wins the competition of my heart. No? This doesn’t count? FINE. She did recently learn to stick up her paws when someone yells, “Stick ’em up!” and play dead when you yell, “BANG!”
4. Go on a food tour of a fun city with RJ.
Nope. This year? (“Everything is “This year,” Alice! That’s what you said last year too!!” I know, I know…)
5. Go back to Holland this summer.
SOOOOOO close!! But we decided last minute that it would be best for our family not to.
So there is the semi-fulfillment of my goals for 2013! Surprisingly, I did better than with my 30 before 30 list. But it looks as though I still have a ways to go in making challenging enough, yet realistic goals.
Stay tuned for my goals for 2014! And thanks for reading!