I just realized yesterday as I was looking over old posts that I completely forgot to post my usual “previous year highlights and new years resolutions” post last year. I blame that on grad school brain, AKA, “OMG-I-AM-SO-FRIED-I-CAN’T-EVEN-THINK-ABOUT-ADDING-ANY-EXTRANEOUS-ACTIVITY-TO-MY-LIFE” brain.
As I wrote yesterday, 2012 was filled with so many blessings. Here are some of the highlights.
- We joined a great marriage community group with our church, Sandals Church. Love sharing life with these godly men and women!
- Leading up to March, I wrote an 80 page doozy of a paper, prepared an hour and a half powerpoint presentation, and prepared for an on-the-spot oral examination for my final case presentation, the culmination of my master’s experience. Talk about a huge weight off my shoulders when it was over!
- I had the honor of being in one of my best friend’s wedding, and watch her joyfully begin a new life together with her husband, who is such a quality guy! I just love them to pieces. :)
- I got another tattoo. I know what some of you are thinking: “Wait, you got a tattoo??” or “Wait…..ANOTHER?? What’s your first??” It was on my “30 before 30” list, and I promise, I’ll get to my tatts in another post.
- I got to play such a fun role in the talented Orange Turtle Photography’s Hunger Games themed editorial photo shoot as make-up artist, and work with some amazingly talented and ridiculously fun people (i.e. Orange Turtle and Cindy from Cation Designs)! Sheesh, was I nervous working with all these super talented people!
- Another dear and beautiful friend, a commiserator throughout the whole graduate school experience (even dating back to our group interview!) got married to such a sweet and amazing guy, and we got to join in celebrating them with some other classmates up in Los Gatos in June!
- Um, let’s see, I graduated with my Master of Science in Marital and Family Therapy. No big. :)
- Both of RJ’s parents came down to visit us for the first time for my graduation (how sweet, right??), and both our families were able to be together (except Rach! :( ) for the first time since our wedding.
- Two of my precious UCR babies, who I have known and invested in since they were freshmen, graduated! Luckily, I didn’t lose both of them since one decided to join us on staff with the Navigators at UCR. We also got to celebrate a few other special ladies’ graduations in June!
- RJ and I were given the honor of co-leading a regional Nav staff missions trip to the Middle East and Holland with two other amazing leaders, who have entered the special “brother/sister” status in my heart (or second husband…I mean…what??). And goodness. The Middle East and Holland could have an entire month’s worth of posts devoted to highlights from those trips!!
- I was able to experience more of the Holy Spirit aspect of God in Holland, with the help and guidance of some really amazing Dutch Navigators staff. God is bigger than I can ever intellectualize or fathom!
- I joyfully embraced a new decade as I turned 30 in August. And I was only able to do so because my 20’s were so amazing. (Click here to see my farewell letter to my 20’s.)
- RJ and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary in Eugene, OR. It really should be illegal how much fun we have together. I am just so super blessed by this man!
- My parents moved out of the house in San Diego that we’ve lived in for the past ten years, and into a new home, one that suits a couple of empty nesters better. Sad that it’s the end of an era, but excited for how God will use their new home!
- We began our fifth year here with the Navigators at UCR. What an exciting year!! We have so many new and fun faces, and so many older and still fun faces. God has really blessed us this year tremendously, and we are excited to see how the rest of the year unfolds!
- We started splitting a CSA box with some friends. I really love it for many reasons. First, you get to support your local farmers. Second, you know it’s all organic. Third, it’s kind of fun because you don’t know what you’re going to get each box, and so you get to try new recipes and figure out how to work with the vegetables you get! Even trying to figure out what the vegetables are can be a challenge!
- I’ve gotten a better handle on this canning thing with two canning projects since September: jalapeno jelly and apple butter. Lots and lots (and lots and lots) of both!
- I think I had my first ever full-on conversation with some celebrities: the winners of this past season’s The Great Food Truck Race, Seoul Sausage!! Super starstruck when I met them, but they are super nice guys! Congrats to them!
- RJ and I threw a co-ed baby shower for my sister and brother-in-law. Deets to come!
- I became an aunt to the sweetest lil’ lady on Thanksgiving Day! And not only that, I watched as my sister gave birth. All I can say is…OMGOMGOMG…childbirth is a freakin’ miracle, a woman’s body is a miracle, and OUUUUUCHIE…..
- RJ and I got to dress up as an elven maiden and a hobbit and attended my super talented friend, Cindy’s, Lord of the Rings birthday party. YES, this is a highlight of my year! I’ve really grown to love and appreciate all of the world that Tolkien has created (though his almost obsessive attention to detail makes me wonder sometimes if he had some psychological condition, hahaha). Check out Cindy’s birthday party here, and just marvel at the attention to detail she and her husband put into putting together this party!
- We got to see many dear friends from Rochester, NY, the last two visits within a week of each other. A super fun blast from the past!
I’m sure I forgot some other major highlights from 2012, but for the moment, this is what I can remember. A full and blessed year, for sure!
Here are some of my resolutions for 2013. They are pretty much the same every year. Haha. But these are the areas that I want to keep growing in for as long as I’m alive.
Resolutions for 2013
- I resolve to grow in my relationship with God. I want to spend more time with Him, I want to spend more time listening to Him and less time jabbering away at Him, I want to know His Word better. I just want to be closer to God, because I know that is where love for others, peace, joy, growth, etc. etc. etc. all come from, being rooted in Him.
- I resolve to cultivate my relationship with my dear husband. Whether it’s setting aside date nights or taking walks together, after God, he is the most important thing in the world to me. As Gollum would say, he’s my precious.
- I resolve to grow in cultivating the relationships around me and not so around me. I am pretty bad at keeping in touch with others, especially when distance is a factor. I want to be more intentional in reaching out to others.
- I resolve to complain less and encourage more. ‘Nuff said. No, scratch that. Let’s stick that under the umbrella of, “I resolve to watch the words I speak.” I am one of those “speak my mind” kind of gals, and it gets me in trouble sometimes. Okay, a lot of the times.
- I resolve to take better care of my body, not for appearances sake, but because it’s a temple of God. I want to eat better, work out more regularly, drink more water, etc. I just want to care for the body God has given me because it’s the only one I’ve got, but even moreso, it is God’s temple.
- I resolve to stretch my mind and keep learning. Learn what? I don’t know! But I just want to keep learning. Whether it’s diving more deeply into Tolkien’s world, or learning how to sew, or learning how to speak a new language, I want to keep learning!
- I resolve to grow in managing our home. I think I do a pretty decent job of it, but still, it’s something I want to continue to grow in.
So there you have it! Highlights of 2012, and resolutions for 2013, like I promised yesterday! Thanks for sticking with me the entire way through! I hope your 2012 was as blessed as mine, and that your 2013 will be even more so! :)