Diaper cakes seem to be all the rage now at baby showers. I first learned of a diaper cake when my sister made one for a co-worker’s baby shower. What exactly is a diaper cake? Observe:
A CAKE made out of diapers made to look all pretty!! Now, they may look all fancy and complicated and all, but they are actually VERY easy to make. This is my first diaper cake, which I made for my friend Joy’s baby shower. If you can’t tell, Joy is expecting a cutie little girl! Yay!
So now. How to make a diaper cake.
– 75-90 diapers, or even more, depending on how many layers you want
– Rubber bands of varying sizes
– String or yarn
– A full-size bottle of baby wash or lotion, or a large baby bottle (8 oz.)
– A small baby bottle (4 oz)
– 8 ft. of wide ribbon
– A base for the cake. It can be a plastic cake stand, a white cardboard circle, or I used a circular placemat.
– A topper, if you desire (stuffed animals?)
– Any other random trinkets you want to add as decor to the cake (bibs, pacifiers, booties, trial sized bottles of baby stuff, stuff to spoil the mommy-to-be, etc.)
1. Pick a color theme. I don’t know, I think it just looks more uniform when you do. I guess you don’t have to though. Personal preference.
2. Roll each diaper up and secure it with a rubber band, so that it doesn’t unroll. Make sure you don’t secure the diapers too tightly, otherwise you run the risk of ripping the diaper. This part is easy enough for a husband to do. I know from personal experience. =)
3. Begin by placing the large baby bottle or full-sized baby wash in the center of the base. Start surrounding the bottle with rolled up diapers. You can secure each layer with a piece of yarn or string, and may need another set of hands to hold them in place. It may look ugly at first, but it’ll be covered by the wide ribbon later.
4. The first layer will probably take at least 3 layers, depending on how large and how many tiers you want the cake to be.
5. Begin building the second layer in the same way on top of the first tier of the cake, which will take at least 2 layers of diapers.
6. For the top tier of the cake, use the small baby bottle as the center and surround it with diapers in the same way as before.
7. Place the top tier on the other two tiers.
8. Run the wide ribbon around the center of each tier, such that the rubber bands and yarn is covered. You can either secure it with tape or baby pins, but if using pins be careful not to pin the diapers. I covered each of the seams of the ribbon with a ribbon bow that I made so that it would look prettier.
9. Decorate it however you want with whatever you want! I added a pacifier and little pink piggy booties, and wanted the little bear to hug the baby bottle up top, so I shoved a bib in the center of the top tier so that the bottle and bear would be raised.
10. Enjoy the “oohs” and “ahs!” when you present the diaper cake to the new mommy!
This was super easy, super fun, and surprisingly fast to make! Happy crafting, friends! =)