Highlights and Events of 2009
1. Kicked off an amazing and fruitful ministry at UCR, and are blessed with regulars who we absolutely love and adore!
2. I enrolled at Cal State San Bernardino to take classes I need to apply for my Master’s in clinical counseling. Go Coyotes!…?
3. RJ and I have gotten into a sweet groove of balancing ministry and marriage, having worked out a ton of the newlywed kinks the first few months of marriage. We’re better communicators, we are more mindful of the other’s needs and desires, we see Jesus more through each other…it’s just what I imagined partnership in marriage and in Christ to be! And it’s SO MUCH FUN!
4. RJ himself is quite a gift to me. He is patient, loving, kind, thoughtful, he speaks truth when I need to hear it, he has so much depth to him, loves Jesus and others well, sees the best in others, and the longer I’m with him, the more I fall in love with him. Plus he is good looking and manly. ;)
5. We went to our first marriage retreat in 2009 and were blessed by the knowledge and experience and wisdom of others who have been on the road longer than we have.
6. I found a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe that is AMAZING. Chewy, like store bought ones! Jenny made me make them three times when we were in San Diego over Christmas break.
7. I threw up three times in 2009. I haven’t thrown up since 2002 or something! Twice was food poisoning, once was the flu. Booooo! But I’m slowly getting over my phobia of throwing up.
8. We were able to go “home” to Rochester, NY! Well, it’s my hometown anyways. We were able to visit Weggies, eat garbage plates (yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!), and I was able to show RJ my old house, high school, and church, not to mention catch up with some really amazing people!
9. RJ and I were asked to be my youth group’s summer retreat speakers! My church and another church in the area joined forces to make a super retreat, and the topic was Inside Out: Gospel Transformation. What an honor! And we had such a wonderful time with the youth and were so welcomed by them. Lemme tell you, they are WAY more well-behaved than the youth were when I was in youth group! We were so naughty.
10. We went on a mini-vacation to Toronto, where my family used to vacation at least once or twice a year. I took RJ to all the places we used to go to. We visited the Royal Ontario Museum and saw the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Toronto Zoo, the CN Towers, watched a Blue Jay’s game, went to Chinatown, Pacific Mall, and the Ontario Science Museum. We also stopped by Niagara Falls on the way up, and I was finally able to go on the Maid in the Mist, the boat that takes you right by the falls!
11. We were able to lead a team at a Summer Training Program on Marriage, Sex, Dating, and the Gospel at Cal State San Marcos for 2 weeks. It was way fun, and we learned a lot and were able to process through a lot of valuable insights!
13. I made it halfway up the hike to the C at UCR. This year I’m hoping to make it all the way up!
14. I completed the Cheeburger Cheeburger challenge! Whooo!!! Success!!
15. I learned how to make barbeque pulled pork. I can’t believe how simple and cheap it is, I feel ripped off all those times I paid for a barbeque pulled pork sandwich!
16. We became credit card debt free! FREEDOM!!!
17. We have babies, thanks to Alli. ;)
18. Did I mention we’re published in The Knot: Southern California Spring/Summer 2010 magazine???
19. I got my hair permed for the first time EVER. Will probably do it again too!
20. We dressed up as cows to get a free meal at Chick Fil A. Yes, those are baby bottle nipples taped to styrofoam plates. What now!
21. We went to the weddings of four couples we love and adore! Two of these couples were RJ’s cousins!
22. Saw Common perform at UCR…you know…the guy from Terminator Salvation?? And Ben Lee.
23. Roadtripped with 11 students to Sacramento in October.
24. Played violin with me pa at Good Friday service.
25. Did we mention we bought a house?? God, in His grace, decided to bless us with the perfect little house! We were able to see God throughout the entire process, and know this is exactly where He wants us!
26. I was able to start using our Crockpot and KitchenAid mixer, along with unpacking tons of other wedding gifts we weren’t able to use because of storage! I LOOOOVE it!!
27. We went back to Destin, FL for our collegiate staff conference. What a beautiful location!
28. RJ was able to bring out the inner handyman that was dormant while we lived in the apartment complex because now we don’t have a Tony (the handyman at the apartment) to call when we have problems. RJ has hooked up our gas washer and dryer and fixed a leaky bath spigot…what a manly man!
29. I am continuing to see God’s perfect timing of His plan and will for our lives, and that we need only to be patient and wait for Him to work, and not try to make things happen by settling for less than the best.
30. As I grow older, my view of God’s love has expanded, as has my view of my depravity…resulting in my view of God’s grace to increase all the more.
Resolutions for 2010
1. Health: Always health! After being sick so long after food poisoning, I’m realizing I need to strengthen my immune system and be proactive about my health! I’m resolving to be more active, to eat better, to stop drinking Diet Coke (I’ve been clean for about 3 weeks now!), and to drink more water. I’m doing pretty well so far!
2. God: I want to be more consistent in times with Jesus, so I’ve resolved to read the entire New Testament in three months. That’s about 6 pages per day. Now, I’m a pretty slow reader but I’m doing pretty well so far! I also want to get back into journaling daily like I used to and chronicling all of life’s events. A great quote from the staff conference in Sandestin: “Don’t coast on the passions of your youth.” Guilty!
3. Get into graduate school! Well, is this really a resolution? Well, it’s what I hope to see happen in 2010!
4. Encourage more, serve more, love more. No regrets!
5. Keep in better touch with people. I really suck at it.
There are probably many more highlights and events in 2009 that I forgot, and more things I will resolve to do, but this is it for now. Hope you stuck with me the entire way through!
Happy New Year! :)